Lately I have been doing a lot of reflecting on my family. I don't know exactly why, but I think most of it has to do with a couple of people I know just having a baby, or about too or have just gotten pregnant. I think about the person I have always thought about as my Hero. Someone I look up too, who has been through the hard times and has never, not that I have seen, let it get them down. My Aunty Helen. Living and growing up in Florida our families were always together. Living only 5 minutes away from eachother they were either over at our house, or we were at theirs. Every holiday I remember getting together, cooking and talking. I remember one christmas in particular. We had everyone spend the night at our house, waking up and opening presents with everyone. I dont know why that one sticks out but it does. Anyways, I always remember my Aunty being one of those people you can depend on. You called and she was there. When something went wrong she was there, even without asking. And for some reason, the bad times were. It seems as if there were more bad times then good times for her. But she always, ALWAYS had a smile on her face. Everyday I wake up, go through my day and my thoughts always go back to her. How shes doing, what is she doing (more likely talking to my mom on the phone, lol) just always thinking about her. I remember one Sunday class we were talking about the Armor of God (Eph. 6:11-17), we drew out the belt, the breastplate, feet, shield, helmet and sword. Then our teacher told to think about who, in our life, fits this Armor. Who has been through so much, but because the Armor of God, has come closer to God instead of farther and who is our hero. My first thought, My Aunty. I still have that paper in my Teen Bible. I just need to find it. Everytime something happens to me, I think about my Aunt and the many many obstacles life has put in her way, and many of them, bad enough to make her turn away from God. But each time, she just becomes stronger and stronger, physically, mentally and spiritually. That is my hero.
"Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with wich you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
(see mom and dad, and you thought I didnt pay attention sundays, lol)
3 comments:
You are so right Jaci, auntie has been through lots. It is never for us to figure out why someone goes through more than others although we often question that. But, her faith will always be strong. She is definately someone that we can look at and allow our faith to begin to shine through. LOL now I know why you asked me about that Bible. Love you, Mom
Aunty could not remember how to get on to post on the blog so below is her comment.
You are the sweetest and most precious young (yet very grown up) lady I know. You made me cry. I am ever so proud of you. You have become quite a fantastic mother and wife.
I love you very much.
I don't know that I have been through any more challenges than anyone else. I can say that without God and my family being there I would not have been strong. God blesses me all the time. He knows exactly what I need and when I need it. I thank Him for all the strength he gives me.
I have so many happy memories of you guys as you were growing up. We had really great times together. Some may have been a little more challenging that others but they were great. I am so thankful we could have time together. What would I do without those memories?
In our lives we learn all the time about things. I am so proud of you and how well you have done for yourself. I see God's beauty in you. You have learned so much and when the time comes around to use it you remember it. You are very strong yourself. Something I admire in you besides your love of life and people. You are awesome.
So you keep using that full armor of God. And just as your family taught you God's word, you continue to be consistent and persistent with yours. Some day your children are going to touch your tender heart because what you taught them and that they remembered too. And you will be just as proud of them as your mom and I am of you. God is smiling down at you.
And remember God loves you and so do I.
Love,
Aunty Helen
I want to meet Aunty Helen!!
Post a Comment