Thursday, April 12, 2007
moving
I sit at the computer, the dishwasher running, sounding unusually noisy, Go Diego Go on, and the kids singing, I keep thinking about life. Where we will be in a few years, how the kids will grow up etc. Then I hear a big truck and it sounded like the garbage truck. Me thinking somehow I messed up the days looked out the back window from the computer chair across the street in time to see a moving van pull into that cul-de-sac and park. All I keep thinking is, that will be us in a few months. Am I ready for this? Am I ready to move away from the home I have known for the last 11 years? Away from my family, away from the un-familiar to no family and no familiarity? Am I really ready for that? Then I start wondering about the family moving, are they nervous or have they done this many times before and use to all this? What about kids? The school year is still going whats going to happen with that? I grew up military (you wouldnt have guessed it though) but only lived two places. Born here, moved to florida for 7 years and then back here. I just think its funny that the next place we are looking at is Florida. Weird and good. Hopefully I will be able to go see my aunty helen every other weekend or something like that when we get down there. So I do have family down there. I am just so scared. I dont do good with new people. I dont talk, and most people take that as me thinking I am better then them, when in fact thats not true. I just dont talk unless I am comfortable around people. Ahhh .. so much to think about. Anyone have any experience with moving they wanna share?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
When Robert and I moved to Omaha, the neighbors thought we were the dependents and kept waiting for our parents to show up so they could introduce themselves.
I was scared too, rob was a baby and my mom was 9 hours away. but that's when robert and I grew so close. depending only on each other and God is the way to build on a marriage.
I second what Jackie said. It will really build your marriage. I'm very much like you. I'm not a social butterfly. I speak only when spoken to. But I do just fine when we move. Tony and I moved from Texas to Missouri back to Texas and then here in South Carolina. I have found that the people that don't make the effort to make friends with me are usually the type I wouldn't hang out with and be friends with anyway. Not that they are bad people or anything but that our personalities wouldn't mesh well. God made you who you are and just be who and what you are where ever you are. It might not keep you from worrying or from wondering if it will all be okay, but you'll be more comfortable with yourself if you just....be. If you can handle two babies (if they need a diaper...they are a baby) while your husband is constantly gone...you can handle a move!! I have faith!
Having moved a couple of times in my married life, I can tell you that it can be exciting and nerve racking at the same time. The opportunity to meet new people, make new friends, create new relationships is awesome. Fortunately for us we had a connection to where we were going so we had a bit of "home" to meet us once we got there. The hard part was letting go of the familiar, having to develop a new routine and having to learn new places and things. As one who does not do well with change, that can be hard but it is a challenge that we have to meet. More often than not we win that challenge. Either way, moving can be a great adventure. Maybe you can get to spend a bit more time with 'your family' in Pleasanton once you get here.
As your "mom" of course the moving away from home has its effects on me as well but, I think that moving will be very good for you and Jarred. As Jackie said, it will strengthen the bond that the two of you have with each other and you will come to depend on each other for everything. Also, your trust in God will grow as you rely more on Him to show you the way. I have found that anywhere you move you have family if you allow others to be a part of your life. The church, and friends you will make along the way.
I love you,
Mom
I totally understand the not talking around people you don't know and their perseption of you being skewed. That's me 100%. The thing that has helped me is Gregg. I haven't seen/talked to Jarred in a long time, but I think he and Gregg have something in common - in that they are both pretty out going guys, confident in themselves, like to meet other people. I'm the opposite. It's a confidence thing maybe. Anyway - you're not alone.
But the moving with your husband really is wonderful. I think moving to Houston where we didn't know too many people and really having to depend on each other was such a blessing. I hope the same is for you and Jarred.
Post a Comment